Sunday, June 14, 2009

I thought parents were naturally more patient with their own kids

"I thought parents were naturally more patient with their own kids"
Joyce met my mom for the first time yesterday and she was very surprised. She had noticed that I was sometimes a little less patient than her when dealing with her kids, esspecially Chris. She had interpreted that as being part and parcel of being a stepmom, rather than a mom. However since meeting my mom she's had to re-evaluate that point of view.

My mom gives you the impression that you're perpetually late. We slept till 9.30 and she called from downstairs for us to come down. That edge of irritation in her voice, I'll tell you, I've learned to ignore it, but it's always there. Whenever things don't measure up she get's impatient. From there it's a small step to breaking dishes. Not that she's throw them about or anything, just her irritation is in all her actions, including putting the dishes in the sink: a familiar sound in my childhood home, cups crashing into hot water, frequently breaking them of course.

Awareness is the first prerequisite for change
Some of this impatience has carried over into my life. I don't often show it, but towards Chris I can be all huffing and puffing like my mom tends to be. Good awareness: perhaps now I can change this. It's not the way I want to be at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment